Olivet opened its doors to assist the frail and aged in our community in 1960. Since its humble beginnings, it has continued to grow and adapt to the needs of our residents, yet has never lost focus on its core spiritual and ethical values.
The Melbourne and Malvern Christadelphian Ecclesias (Church) purchased for £4,000 a nine room furnished house and a separate five acres site in Rupert St, Ringwood with the view to establishing a rest home for our elderly members and also filling a need for temporary accommodation for sponsored migrants from Britain. In November 1949, the name ‘Olivet’ given to the house, a name synonymous with the olive garden set on a hillside in Jerusalem where Jesus often prayed and found peace.
1950 – 1963
Through donations the Melbourne Ecclesia’s and individuals, over £10,000 were raised, to develop and furnish a 12 bed hostel on the vacant parcel. This building’ known affectionately as the Collins Street wing’ was opened on November 30 1963 and is still being used for it’s original purpose. Additional to this was built the Ringwood Ecclesial hall.
1964 – 1980
The original Rupert Street house was demolished to allow the building of 16 single bed roomed units and these were opened in July1980 with all being immediately tenanted by Christadelphians.
A 30-bed nursing home development was built in November 1981 at a cost of $900,000.
Extension to Hostel (Toorak Wing) increasing the number of Low care places by eight, to bring the total number of Government funded care places to 60.
1994 – 1998
Construction of four ILU’s in 1994 followed by a further 12 in 1996. The original Ringwood Ecclesial hall was demolished and replaced with the Ringwood Community Centre, a modern, multi-purpose facility that has been a centre piece of the entire Olivet complex for community and religious activities.
2001 – 2002
Purchase of land ay 331 Maroondah Hwy for development of a Retirement Village and Hostel extension. In 2002 a 15 Unit Retirement Village was developed.
Through the acquisition of adjacent land, the Acacia Wing was built providing 25 new rooms for residents and increasing the number of Government funded care places to 75. This additional wing includes a purpose built room for religious services and a lounge / dining area. 15 Dementia specific rooms were incorporated by the upgrading of the Toorak Wing.
Construction of a further six ILU’s. Government funded care places to were increased to 80.
Olivet is now embarking on its most ambitious venture, the development of a new wing adjacent to the Community Centre to accommodate 30 new state-of-the-art high care rooms with a central courtyard / dining facility. There has been extensive capital expense to ensure that Olivet continues to meet “Building Certification Standards” set by Government authorities.
With God’s blessing, since 1949 Olivet has grown from a small house where a handful of elderly sisters lived, to a home where currently 150 people are provided with loving care and support.
When the new 30 place wing is completed, Olivet will comprise:
• A Nursing Home / Hostel providing accommodation for 95 high and
low care residents
• 34 Independent Living Units
• Community Centre